John Whaite Bakes! Written by the winner of the 2012 Bake Off! I was given it for Christmas and I've already made two recipes from it! The first...
Salted Peanut and Chocolate Florentines
60g unsalted butter
60g light brown muscavado sugar
2 tsp liquid glucose
4 dried apricots, finely chopped
150g salted peanuts, roughly chopped
1 1/2 plain flour
100g dark chocolate
1. Place the butter, sugar and glucose in a small pan and stir over a medium heat. Stir until everything has melted together. Remove from the heat and add the apricots, peanuts and flour. Stir well until everything is well mixed and the peanuts are coated in the sweet, buttery syrup.
2. Preheat the oven to 160. Dollop teaspoons of the mixture onto lined baking sheets. Leave large gaps between each as they will spread.
3. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Once cool, gently peel the florentines off the baking paper and line them up on a wire rack.
4. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Drizzle or pour over the florentines and allow to set.
They are best eaten the day they are made and totally delicious! And the second recipe was...
Apricot and White Chocolate Flapjacks
200g dried apricots
225g unsalted butter
120g light brown muscavado sugar
150g runny honey
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp treacle
100g white chocolate
1. Finely chop the apricots. Put the butter, sugar and honey in a pan over a medium heat. Stir until melted and well mixed. Add the apricots, lemon zest and treacle. Mix well. Tip in the oats and stir into an oaty mush.
2. Dollop the mixture into 12-8in tin, lined with baking paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
3. Remove from the tin and cut into 16. Melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Drizzle the chocolate over the flapjack and allow to set.
And there we are! Two fabulous new recipes from a fabulous new baker!
I am very thankful to social media to help us all share our recipes and our triumphs. Especially as John Whaite himself retweeted the link to a picture of my florentines on Instagram!
Please feel free to follow me on both Twitter and Instagram at @AlexEBohan X Bo