Happy Father's Day! Today's recipe is partially dedicated to my Dad, partially another useful way to use up surplus egg whites! I made another batch of Portuguese Custard Tarts so needed another way to use up the egg whites I had left over.
For the meringues
4 egg whites
115g caster sugar
115g icing sugar
For the Eton Mess
300ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 100°. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Slowly add the the caster sugar, one spoonful at a time.
3. Add the icing sugar one third at a time. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the icing sugar.
4. Spoon mounds of mixture onto the prepared baking tray. Bake for an hour and a half. You can leave them in the oven to dry out completely while the oven cools down. Leave to cool.
5. Whip your cream. Wash and slice your strawberries. Assemble in a bowl, layering the crushed meringues, cream and strawberries.
And there you have it! A really quick, easy and delicious Summer dessert. I used all 6 egg whites I had left over from my tarts. So the quantities on the video are a bit more than what is listed here!