If you're looking for the perfect present for a foodie friend then look no further! These traditional Italian biscuits make the perfect gift, just pop them in a jar or a gift bag! Perfect for any friends who are partial to a coffee (these are great dunked!) or wine lovers (these are traditionally served with Vin Santo as a dessert!) Traditionally, they're just made with almonds, but I am obsessed with hazelnuts so added some of them too! If you want to be traditional, use 125g of almonds.
250g plain flour
165g granulated sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 160 fan.
2. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
3. Add the eggs, honey, zest and almond extract and mix all the ingredients.
4. Once the mixture has come together and is crumbly and soft, add the nuts.
5. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll into two logs that are roughly 30cm long and 5cm wide.
6. Place the logs on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
7. Remove the logs from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Place one log on a cutting board and cut diagonally, using a serrated knife, into 1.5cm slices.
8. Put the slices back on the baking tray, face up, and bake them for another 10-15 minutes.
9. Take them out of the oven and let them cool on a wire rack. They will last for several weeks in a sealed container, making them a great gift for Christmas!