Welcome to The 12 Bakes of Christmas! Every alternate day in December, I will be posting a festive recipe, perfect for you to make for your friends, your family or yourself.
We are kicking things off today with Bake #1 - Iced Gingerbread Stars! I make these every year without fail. Whether it's for my colleagues, for my friends, my theatre company or my family. I absolutely love spending time icing all the biscuits and coming up with different designs for each one. Taking the time to lovingly decorate a biscuit and then share it with someone I love... it's just the best! These biscuits would be the perfect snack to enjoy while decorating your Christmas tree! Christmas Music is compulsory whilst decorating!
350g plain flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
175g unsalted butter
150g dark muscovado sugar
4 tbsp/60ml golden syrup
1. Mix the flour, spices, salt and bicarb into a large bowl.
2. Put the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a pan. Melt until smooth, then add to the dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon for form a dough.
3. Shape into a ball, then wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
4. Preheat the oven to 160 fan.
5. Once chilled, roll out and cut into stars. Re-roll and re-cut until you have used all your dough.
6. Place the stars on a baking tray, lined with grease proof paper and bake for 10-12 minutes. It helps to rotate the baking trays half way through the baking time to ensure an even colour.
7. Once baked, move to a wire rack to cool. Use royal icing in a piping bag to decorate with dots, lines, zig-zags, swirls or snowflakes onto your biscuits.