Vegan Dark Chocolate and Almond Cookies
Happy Veganuary! I wanted to share a recipe for anyone taking part in Veganuary this month! This recipe was recommended to me by my wonderful friend Kitty. It's Pret's Vegan Dark Chocolate and Almond Cookie recipe. She and her lovely partner Henry (who is very clever and has written a book!) made them a LOT during Lockdown 1.0. Her advice was to follow the recipe exactly as they don't work as well otherwise. I was surprised how precise the measurements were but when I tried them, they worked!
43g caster sugar
112g soft light brown sugar
40g flaked almonds, lightly smashed
112g vegan dark chocolate, in pieces
205g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
65g coconut oil, melted
72g almond butter
100g golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180°. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the caster sugar, light brown sugar, salt, almond pieces, chocolate pieces, flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
3. Mix the coconut oil, almond butter, golden syrup and water together in a different bowl and add to all the dry ingredients.
4. Combine all together into a cookie dough using a wooden spoon at first, then bring together with your hands. Shape into 8 balls, put on the baking trays and flatten slightly.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Leave to cool and then enjoy!