I have been baking these Cheese Straws for years! I first posted this recipe on the blog back in 2013 and thought I would share them again now. I made them to have alongside some homemade Leek and Potato soup. I will share the recipe for that down below in case you are interested!
200g self raising flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder
150g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1. Put the flour, salt & mustard powder in a bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumb. Add the grated cheese.
2. Use the egg to combine the mixture into a rough dough.
3. Roll out on a floured surface and cut into strips. Put on a baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper then sprinkle the extra cheese over the top. Bake at 160 for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Leek and Potato Soup:
2 leeks, roughly chopped
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, finely chopped
40g celeriac, peeled and finely diced
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1. In a large pot, heat some oil. Add the leeks, onion and celeriac. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the potatoes, pepper and garlic granules. Pour in enough vegetable stock to cover all the vegetables and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from the heat and thicken by gently mashing with a potato masher.